Yieldmo Unveils New Research Finding 98% of Brands Believe Customer Attention Data Can Improve Mobile Advertising
Hot off the press! We’re excited to announce the release of our latest research study, Attention 2.0: Enhancing Ad Measurement Beyond Clicks & Viewability. Conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of Yieldmo, this study researched how brand marketers can leverage customer attention data to improve mobile advertising outcomes.
“We commissioned this study to better understand why so many brands aren’t taking advantage of new data-based approaches to harnessing, understanding and leveraging consumer attention. The findings highlight the gap between what marketers know how to measure in mobile advertising today compared to what marketers wish they could measure. And, more importantly, how these metrics would impact advertising performance and business outcomes,” said Lisa Bradner, General Manager of Data & Analytics at Yieldmo.
DOWNLOAD FREE FORRESTER REPORT
Surveying 164 brands across the retail, automotive and CPG segments in October 2019, 98% of respondents confirmed attention metrics would drive value for their organizations. However, the challenge is less than 50% of marketers feel confident in measuring granular mobile ad metrics.
Key findings from the study include:
- 84% of marketers said their organizations are not capable of measuring customer attention with mobile ads today. Even the marketers who claim to measure customer attention today can’t say which metrics they have or how they’re being used.
- Nearly 80% of marketers are hungry for better customer attention data. Marketing decision-makers are more eager than ever to find new approaches and technology to bolster their understanding of mobile advertising.
- 98% of respondents believe that attention metrics would drive value for their organizations. 65% of respondents said they would use attention data to retarget inattentive consumers, 62% of respondents said they would pursue understanding frequency delivery by an individual consumer, and 62% said they would pursue enhancing click-through rate by retargeting attentive customers.
- Brands see multiple ways attention metrics will improve mobile advertising. 67% of marketers plan to use attention metrics to improve retargeting, better gauge and calibrate ad frequency, and enhance click-through rate. More than 50% plan to use attention data to better test creatives, understand brand lift, drive more sales, and demonstrate brand media value.
- 63% of respondents said they plan to invest in customer attention metrics. 63% of brands indicated they are willing to significantly or slightly increase their investment in capturing customer attention metrics.
“Over the past year, we developed a strong hypothesis that attention analytics can help marketers move beyond metrics, like viewability. What the study found supports our assumptions. The majority of industry marketers understand and find value in the concept of attention, but they aren’t able to measure it on their own. Measurement is critical to optimizing and improving their campaign creative and targeting,”
“Time is of the essence. Marketers need to enhance their customer attention metrics to help improve the effectiveness of their mobile advertising spend,” said Bradner. “There is a significant amount of untapped revenue that comes from understanding your consumer’s interests and intent. That’s why we have developed AEROS Attention Analytics to help marketers capture and understand attention behavior. Moreover, it enables brands to utilize these metrics to optimize advertising campaigns.